Individual Tax Return Quick Checklist

Hilliard Accounting Logo with Calculator and Upward ArrowFor many, filing tax returns is simple and only includes a single W2. They are typically young, single, without children, and have the same job all year. For some, tax filing can get very complicated, very quick. Below you will find a checklist of items, that if applicable, you will need to obtain for filing your taxes. This list does not cover all individual returns, but will serve as a general guide. Please contact us if you have any questions.

All Tax Return Filers Need

  • US Issued ID (Both parties if joint filing)
  • Previous Year Tax Return
  • SSNs for You, Spouse, and All Dependents
  • Names and Date of Birth for You, Spouse, and All Dependents
  • Bank Name, Routing, & Account Number for direct deposit/ payments

Taxable Income & Forms

  • W-2s
  • Interest Income: Form 1099-INT & 1099-OID
  • Dividend Income: Form 1099-DIV
  • Proceeds From Broker and Barter Exchange (Land, Stocks, etc.): Form 1099-B
  • Real Estate Sales: Form 1099-S
  • State Tax Refunds: Form 1099-G
  • Miscellaneous Income: Form 1099-MISC
  • Investment Brokerage Statements
  • Alimony Received/ Paid (Names, social security numbers, and addresses)
  • Unemployment Compensation
  • Health Savings Account/ Long-Term Care Reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)
  • Other Taxable Income

Retirement Income

  • Retirement: Form 1099-R
  • Social Security and Railroad Retirement: Form SSA-1099
  • Other Retirement Income

Business Income

  • Business Income/s and Expenses
  • Rental Income/s and Expenses
  • Farm Income/s and Expenses
  • Form K-1s: Partnerships, Trusts, and S-Corporations Income
  • Business-use Asset Information (costs, dates in service, etc.) for Depreciation
  • Mileage Traveled for Business Purposes
  • Home Office Information
  • Other Business Information May Be Necessary

Expense and Tax Deduction

  • Family Medical Expenses
  • Medical Insurance Premiums
  • Prescription Drug Costs
  • Doctor and Dentist Payments
  • Hospital Payments
  • Mileage Traveled for Medical Purposes
  • Form 1098: Home Mortgage Interest
  • Mortgage Interest Paid on Second Home
  • Other Home Lines of Credit Interest
  • Real Estate Taxes
  • State Taxes Paid on Previous Year Return
  • Personal Property Taxes Paid
  • Charitable Contributions
  • Unreimbursed Expenses for Volunteer Work
  • Mileage for Volunteer Purposes
  • Casualty and Theft Losses
  • IRA Contributions
  • HSA and FSA Contributions

Tax Credits

  • Child Care (Name, Address, Social Security Number or EIN, and Amounts Paid)
  • Adoption Expenses
  • Foreign Taxes (Typically seen in Financial Brokerage Statements)
  • Other Tax Credit Information May Be Necessary


  • Form 1095-A: Proof of Insurance


  • Educational Expenses: Form 1099-T
  • Student Loan Interest Paid

Tax Estimate Payments

  • Estimated Tax Payments Made with Vouchers
  • Previous Year Tax Return Overpayment (Applied to This Year)
  • Off Highway Fuel Taxes Paid

Additional Questions to Answer:

  • What is your current mailing address?
  • What is your daytime phone number?
  • Do you want to direct deposit refunds or direct pay payments? You have the option to receive a paper check refund or use a check for payments.
We want to help!

Call Anytime

We can make life easier for you during tax return season. Don’t stress out, join the Hilliard Accounting family.